Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 14:18:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ejs@bfd.com (Eric J. Schwertfeger)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, davidg@Root.COM, dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au, SimsS@Infi.Net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

> > "standard setting" is.  sio2/3 have already gone and I can hardly
> > accept the argument that 4 port PCs are any kind of norm.  I've seen
> > literally hundreds of different PC configurations and in all but a few
> > very rare cases, it's always the same 2 ser/1 par/1 game combo.
>
> Agreed with on machines coming off the shelf that way, but most people I
> know that add an internal modem add it as com3/irq5, since they don't have
> to figure out how to disable a comm port.  which isn't 4 port, but it also
> isn't two port.

Most interrupt capable PC software that supports com3: and com4: do so
by allowing only one of com1:/com3: or com2:/com4: to be open and
running with interrupts enabled simultaneously.

Typically, this means that a "correct" driver would allow com1: and
com3: to coexist on the same interrupt, but not allow them to be used
simultaneously.

This will typically "go to hell" with uugetty/mgetty/etc., which complete
the open of the port instead of waiting for a non-interrupt polled event
to be detected (like polling the DCD every 100ms).

This is all really a moot point: the reason for the com3:/com4: (sio2/3)
removal is that our console code (incorrectly) does not implement the
MACH32/MACH64 detection code, freely downloadable, usable, and
distributable from the ATI WWW site.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---