Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 01:02:39 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        Zapper <Zapper@FoxChat.Net>, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ATI Video card.

On Friday 08 March 2002 11:16 pm, Zapper wrote:
>   I bought a Dell Dimension 4300 that came with a 16M ATI Rage
> Ultra 4x AGP video card.  I can't seem to find the correct card
> when I run XF86Setup (XFree86-3.3.6_10).  I do know that 128's use
> the SVGA but for some reason I can't get it to work.  If someone
> could please point me to some documents or somewhere where I can a
> compatible selection, I'd be most appreciative.

   I don't think you'll get it to work with XF86 v3.3.6, Mark.  I
tried, to no avail, too.  (I have two machines w/ the Rage 128
chips.)  I upgraded XF86 to v 4.1.0 and it works, beautifully.  The
config program correctly detected the chip ("ati" driver, BoardName
"Rage 128 Pro PF" (not quite right, but close enough)), monitor,
keyboard, and mouse.
   The only glitch was that it set me up with a default resolution of
1792x1344, which makes for almost unreadable text in apps with small
fonts on a 19" monitor.  (... made me a little nervous, too -- I
think it was pushing the monitor beyond specs.)  So, you might have
to alter your "Modes" line in each of your "Display" subsections
within the "Screen" section of your XF86Config file.
   Hth.
Bob

--
"Unquestionably, there is progress. The average American now pays out
twice as much in taxes as he formerly got in wages." -- H. L. Mencken