Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 11:48:59 -0400
From:      Brian Cully <shmit@kublai.com>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pthreads woes

On Thu, Aug 06, 1998 at 09:02:19AM +1000, John Birrell wrote:
> > The sequence of events is:
> >
> > 	main
> > ----------------------
> > spawn threads
> > loop {
> > 	lock thread mutex
> > 	wait for packet
> > 	unlock mutex
>
> You keep the mutex locked while you wait?

Yes, that way I don't have to waste time (even though it's a small amount)
in mutex_lock after I get a packet (I want to /very/ quick response time).

> > 	send signal to thread
>
> Signal a condition or a kill() signal?

Sorry, I signal a condition with pthread_cond_signal().

> > If not, I'll see what I can do to make the test simpler.
>
> Does the code build cleanly (gcc -Wall) on -current, without using a GNU
> configure script, and is it C code (not C++)? If yes, yes and yes, I'll
> look at it.

It builds -Wall and -Werror on -current from a couple of days ago, without
using GNU configure (truly, configure is an abomination before the Lord),
and it is entirely written in C; IOW, yes, yes, and yes.

I'll send it to you privately, but don't fry your brain trying to find
the problem, at this point I'm inclined to believe it's my fault.

-bjc