Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 18:52:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
To:        Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
Cc:        hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Admin GUI tool (was: RE: /usr/src/release/sysinstall needs YOU   . :-))

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Adam Turoff wrote:

> If you want to start writing a nifty GUI admin tool, then great.  The
> admin
> tools that come with AIX are supposed to be well worth it.  (Not having
> used AIX I can't confirm/deny this assertion.)

  AIX SMIT worth it only because AIX itself has all administration done by
large number of command-line utilities that edit text and simultaneously
binary database, and none of those utilities have anything to do with
Unix. If AIX had human-usable configuration files, vi will be more useful.
And yes, SMIT (both Motif and curses-based interfaces) is a simple
menu/form system that composes arguments for those utilities and processes
its output only to display it as some list -- it can be done in HTML
easier.

> If it were MY FreeBSD box and MY GUI admin tool, I'd probably want it
> written in tcl/tk.  It's relatively low overhead, and the
> source/interpreter
> are in the public domain.  No worrying about getting the proper JDK build
> statically linked against the proper X libs, etc.

  Red Hat Linux distribution has exactly that, but its installation
program is entirely text-based -- and considering that Linux distribution
is supposed to work on notebooks with all kinds of weird hardware. RH 5.0
installer did everything well on my Micron TransPort XPE, but at the end
royally screwed up X configuration. Since it happened on already
working system, it was possible to reboot, then manually configure X.
Even though one can do things the XFree86 installer way (starting with the
most safe mode), non-X-based installer still will be nicer and safer.

> It would also be nice if there was a curses-style interface as well.
>
> Python might also be a reasonable candidate.  Perl/tk would require that
> tk be installed by default with every FreeBSD perl installation - not
> something you can realistically expect.
>
> As for web based administration, you're right.  It has its uses, but
> unless
> done very well, it can be very clumsy and insecure.

  Any administration tool, unless done very well, will be very clumsy and
insecure. HTTP has the advantage that it really can be started on anything
and use anything from lynx to netscape as a client. Of course, it has huge
number of features to misuse, but if done well it works well on
everything. Security depends entirely on the client authentication, and if
one uses localhost for installation and local configuration, and ssh
forwarding for remote one (no, I don't have SSL-capable HTTP server on
every box I use), it's really hard to make the system insecure if any
HTTP authentication is used.

>  The java approach
> just seems way too heavyweight for a free OS these days.  If it were
> Slowlaris, where you had amazing Java support in the base OS, that
> would be a different story.

  Solaris is a heavyweight thing in itself, no one will notice if they
will rewrite the whole CDE in java and ship it with every box. As for java
security, it will add none because java is relatively secure as the source
of problems for the host system, it runs on -- the harm that can be done
to anything it handles entirely depends on the programmer and, in the case
of remote administration, on the protocol used.

--
Alex