Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 1996 22:30:24 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        mikebo@tellabs.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Triton-II support... when?

On Mar 5, 14:28, mikebo@tellabs.com wrote:
} Stephan -
} You wrote:
} > On Mar 5, 13:34, mikebo@tellabs.com wrote:
} > } o  Is it worth a 4-6 week wait for Triton-II main boards to arrive?
} >
} > How could we tell whether it's worth it
} > for YOU ?
} >
} I guess I was looking for personal recommendations such as:
} Triton-II will make ordinary Triton main boards obsolete overnight!
} Only a FOOL would buy a Triton main board at this point because...
} (INSERT COMPELLING REASONS HERE!).
}
} Based on what you wrote, I would not realize much benefit from waiting.

Well, ECC would be enough of a reason for me!

I really don't like the lack of parity on the
Triton, though I'd rather use a Triton than a
Neptun (that did support Parity) for performance
reasons. Now you get even more than that.

Very good for a heavily loaded server that has
to stay up for months ...

I wouldn't expect much performance benefit, and
multi-processor is currently of no value for me
(I hate multi-threaded programs ;-)

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160