Date:      Sat, 1 Mar 2008 20:25:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      Ingo Flaschberger <if@xip.at>
To:        Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 1GBit router?

Dear Barney,

> It seems absolutely ridiculous to buy such hardware
> and not install a PCIx or 4x PCIe card for another
> $100. or less. Saying a 1x is "fast enough" is like
> saying a Celeron is "fast enough".

The box is a small 1HE appliance and can boot from a CF-Card.
I trust them more than a "al cheapo" pc.
1x axiomtek NA-820
1x P4 3Ghz cpu
1x 1gb ddr2
---
850eur without taxes.

A good chipset, good cpu, good ram, good harddisk, god powersupply has
same price.
And don't forget that in exchanges you pay for each HE.

And back to 1x is not fast enough:
There are no 1gbit single port network cards that support more than 1
lane, even if you plug it into a 16 lane slot.
(and I'm not talking about 10gbit cards; if you have 10gbit upstream you
have enough $$ to buy good gear)

http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/prodbrf/pro1000_pt_server_adapter.pdf
Bus width x1 Lane PCI Express, operable in x1, x4,x8, x16 slots
Bus speed (x1, encoded rate) 2.5 Gbps uni-directional; 5 Gbps bi-directional

Kind regards,
 	Ingo Flaschberger