Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 06:17:02 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Terry Kennedy <terry@tmk.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/10872: Panic in soreceive() due to NULL mbuf pointer

>>    What motherboard are you using? An Intel N440BX perhaps?
>
>  Intel SE440BX, Intel SE440BX-2, and a Tyan S1662D. I've had the problem
>on all three platforms.

   I'm not familiar with the SE440BX, but we do know about a problem with
the fxp [Pro/100+] on N440BX causing identical symptoms. People have reported
trying de [DEC] boards and still having a similar problem. It seems to occur
in conjunction with the NCR/Symbios controller, but noone has yet been
able to put their finger on it. I've been told that the problem goes away
when switching to an Adaptec. The problem definately seems to be related
somehow to concurrent PCI DMA. I don't recall seeing any reports of this
problem occuring with 440GX based motherboards (or anything else), so it
leads me to think that it might be a bug in the 440BX chipset.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.