Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:08:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan <dan@expresscopy.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to manage difficult archives?

We have a large archive of files that we receive over the internet
for digital printing.   We have offered to archive these files
for up to 3 months for reprints.   Not many of our customers use
this service, so we delete these files from active storage after
they have been archived to tape, leaving one day's worth of
files in place, just in case.

Previously, we had been using tar to create these archives, and
appending new files to the end of the tape.  We rotate tapes at
the end of each month and start a new archive on the oldest tape.

It's becoming more and more of a pain to manage these archives.
My question:

Does anyone have any kind of shell script or perl script that they
use for similar purposes?   Would any use of dump and restore
be easier to manage?

Thanks,

Dan Herrera
dan@expresscopy.com