Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 95 10:34:06 EDT
From:      fcawth@squid.umd.edu (Fred Cawthorne)
To:        obrien@antares.aero.org (Mike O'Brien)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pppstats shows 5% packet error rate

> 	I'm running 2.0R, with the one-line PPP fix.
>
>         My PPP connection appears to run as it should, but it also shows
> about a 5-10% packet error rate.  Running pppstats, I can see batches of 7
> or 8 errors happening at a time during, say, an inbound FTP.  During
> these periods the modem shows as mostly idle.  Possibly it's waiting for a
> TCP timeout/retransmission.  I am running a U.S.  Robotics Sportster
> modem, 14.4Kb, dialup into an Annex box.  I have 16550s in my Pentium 90.
> I'm running a Logitech bus mouse and XFree86 3.1.0 at the time.
>
>         These errors and timeouts slow things down.  What's the use of
> spending the bucks to run at 28.8 if I'm only going to spend most of my
> time waiting for TCP (or maybe PPP) timeouts?

I get the same sort of timeouts with my 28.8K modem telnetting through
an annex into a FreeBSD box.  The server side is FreeBSD2.0, and the
client is Snap950210.  It seems that sending something (like hitting CR
in a telnet session) causes it to stop waiting.  It also seems like
only things that send a large amount of data in a stream trigger the
problem.  I can run x clients with very little delays, for example.
I haven't tried ftp'ing a file to /dev/null either.  There may be
something lost somewhere when the disk is writing.
I have tried going at 14.4K, turning off compression, etc... and it
does the same thing.  And I escape the ^S / ^Q  and the telnet
escape character too.
My home machine is a 486/66 with 8 megs ram and an IDE drive running
Snap 950210 and my work machine is a Pentium 90 with 32 megs ram and
scsi drives.
>         Is anybody else seeing this?  Even suggestions of what to tear
> into would be welcome.  I am comfortable with banging on kernel source if
> I know where to start.

I am going to check to see if anything has changed in pppd or the driver
since 2.0.   Perhaps a bug was fixed. (or introduced...)
I may also just try to install the latest snapshot at home to see if it
helps.

Fred.