Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 02:51:37 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is VT_TFS?

> > > Bill Jolitz approved a 0.5 "interim release" of 386BSD
> >
> > And then Lynn revoked this, and posted a public message to the world
> > stating what obnoxious fiends we were.
>
> Actually, Lynne didn't have the right to do this; the trademark
> was Bill's, so the revocation wasn't valid until Bill did it.
>

> > > Some of the people who later split off NetBSD and released the
> > > NetBSD 0.8 release had reverse engineered the patchkit format,
> > > and built tools to do the same thing.
> >
> > Actually, no.  It was the person who was going to take it from me (I
> > could name him, but it wouldn't do much good).  The new maintainer
> > didn't do anything or respond to email for over 3 months, so Jordan took
> > it over from where I left off.
>
> I was aware that CGD had reverse engineered it.

He didn't.  Chris never used the patchkit, nor did he ever release any
patches.  He used some of the patches, but never got involved in
anything but his own BSD release.

> I wasn't aware
> that you had given the tools to the people who later released
> the "1000" level patches.

He was supposed to be the next maintainer. :(

> > NetBSD happened when Lynn's famous email was sent out claiming we were
> > all evil incarnate, and that no-one understood them anymore.
>
> I talked to Lynne and Bill through much of that time; it was
> (unfortunately) a discussion well before the fireworks that
> resulted in him knowing about common law trademarks.  I was
> still on good terms with them, well after the NetBSD 0.8
> release, and we mostly "just lost touch", rather than letting
> the bickering come between us.

I'm suprised you were able to talk to them.  Lynn refused to talk to me
(or anyone else) on the phone towards the end, and then the famous email
was released.

> As for the binaries, we had a number of patched floppy images
> floating around (I personally couldn't boot the thing at all
> until I binary edited the floppy to look for 639 instead of
> 640 in the CMOS base memory data registers).

Right, but they weren't good enough for a complete install.

> Unfortunately, I cut myself out of the loop early on that,
> due to the impending purchase of USL by Novell, which went through
> in June of 1994, after off shore locations which were not Berne
> Convention signatories had been found to house the code in case the
> worst happened, so this email is not part of my personal archives.
> I hope someone, somewhere has saved it for posterity...

It's on 120MB QIC tapes in the drawer next to me.  The 'original'
386BSD/FreeBSD development box (prior to WC's involvement) with the tape
drive is still in service as my firewall. :)

Nate