Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:33:59 +0200
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        Atom Smasher <atom@smasher.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysctl way too slow

On 14/07/2010 13:49, Atom Smasher wrote:
> http://smasher.org/tmp/zsh-bsd-sysctl-slow.png

Why use a screen shot here?

> is there a way to get this information that doesn't take so long?
>
> the same info is available on linux via /sys and /proc and on comparable
> hardware, i can get the info about 100x faster.

It probably depends on your BIOS. This is the same call on my
system:
% time sysctl -n hw.acpi.battery.life hw.acpi.battery.time hw.acpi.battery.state
100
-1
0
sysctl -n hw.acpi.battery.life hw.acpi.battery.time hw.acpi.battery.state  0.00s user 0.01s system 96% cpu 0.013 total

As you can see 33 times faster than on your system.

I agree that 0.413 seconds is too long, but I don't think it makes
sense to call this value more frequently than every 30 seconds.

So I'd say it's more of an annoyance than a real problem.

Regards