Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:13:20 +1000 (EST)
From:      Enno Davids <nconedd@mensa.national.com.au>
To:        jesse@va.com.au (jesse reynolds)
Cc:        jwyatt@rwsystems.net, danny@clari.net.au, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cable modems and FreeBSD

| jesse@va.com.au wrote:
|
| This is a bit off the topic, but how accessable is ADSL in Australia?
| I'm very keen to know how much, who to organise it through, where
| they'll install it etc.

Not offerred anywhere commercially yet AFAIK. Telstra has been dragging
their heels for some time now and finally announced plans to deploy it about
2 weeks ago. The suggestion was though it wouldn't actually be available
till this time next year.

The other item of note was that the ACCC recently ruled that Telstra had to
allow 3rd party providers access to their local loops, i.e. the wires from
exchange to customer premises. That means its now possible for those 3rd
parties to provide things like xDSL without the need to lay cable to every
house in the country. Needless to say this is all a bit new and while policy
now exists, the mechanics of getting non-Telstra equipment into their
exchanges are still being worked out.

Sadly this is all moot anyway, as the big disincentive in Oz till now has
been the ongoing tariffs applied to data circuits not the costs of having
them installed in any event. Until we find out what they're going to charge
for xDSL it would be foolish to make decisions about it.

Cheers,

Enno.