Date:      04 Oct 1998 19:42:08 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdates and 2.2.6

Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk> writes:
> I've just started doing builds for -3.0BETA on my -stable box. Can I have a disk
> set up for soft updates under -3.0BETA and still be able to mount it under
> -2.2.6 (after a reboot of course!)

Yes. The only change Soft Updates introduce on-disk is a flag set in
the superblock to indicate that the file system is to be mounted with
Soft Updates enabled. Soft Updates only affect the order in which data
is written to disk, not what they look like.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no