Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 15:38:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: runningbufspace deadlock problem on -stable

Bernd Walter writes:
 > I have one -stable production PC164 machine with the problem that
 > runningbufspace increases over time.
<..>
 > vfs.runningbufspace: 120832
 >
 > The value should return to 0 when the box is IO idle.
 >
 > If someone sees this problems on a local machine I would be happy.
 > I have some patches here adding assertions which I want to avoid
 > trying on my production machine.

I recently had a problem on my workstation. (UP1000, 640MB, 4.5-STABLE,
also an NFS server for my various testboxes in my home office).  I was
doing a local cvs diff on the src/sys tree, as well as building the
TGA kernel, and doing a few other things (xemacs, gnome, sawfish,
konqueror, 20 or so shells).  The cvs diff got wedged in (I think)
inode.

At this point, I noticed that the FFS node malloc pool seemed to be
quite near its limit.  I killed the make and tried to recover, but I
couldn't seem to get the number of FFS node allocations down & other
jobs started to wedge on IO.  I was intending to drop into the
debugger and get a dump, but the machine locked solid when I
tty-switched out of X.

I have so far be unable to reproduce the problem.

I wonder if these two problems might be related..?

Drew