Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:02:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
To:        "Eric S . Van Gyzen" <lists@vangyzen.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  R/W mount of ext2fs fails

>From owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG  Tue Mar 28 11:45:55 2000
>Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:38:20 -0500
>From: "Eric S . Van Gyzen" <lists@vangyzen.net>
>Subject: R/W mount of ext2fs fails
>
>I just upgraded from 3.4-STABLE to 4.0-STABLE and am having
>problems mounting my Linux partition.  The Linux root filesystem
>is on /dev/da0s3.  Here's what happens:
>
>	# mount -t ext2fs /dev/da0s3 /mnt/linux
>	ext2fs: /dev/da0s3: Invalid argument
>	# ls -l /dev/da0s3
>	crw-r-----  1 root  operator   13, 0x00040002 Mar 28 11:35 /dev/da0s3
>
>Syslog reports:
>	/kernel: WARNING: R/W mount of #da/0x40002 denied due to
>	unsupported optional features
>
>Huh?  To what "unsupported optional features" is it referring?

1.  The new "dynamic" version 1 ext2 filesystem.  Previously
    this was version 0.

2.  "sparse_superblock"

>In case it matters, the Linux installation is Red Hat 6.1.  And
>I do have
>	options         EXT2FS
>in my kernel config.  I thought maybe the filesystem wasn't clean,
>so I booted Linux and fsck'ed, only to get the same results.

It also happens with Slackware 7.0 & I'm sure others, effective
with 3.4-STABLE as of a couple of weeks ago...

>Thanks for any help, or pointers to documentation that I should
>have read...
>
>-Eric
>
>FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #0: Thu Mar 23 15:16:02 EST 2000

Check the archives of this list & freebsd-fs from just a few
days ago...

This (new) behavior of FreeBSD's ext2fs support is really a
bugfix, introduced a couple of weeks ago into RELENG_3.  And
they have Good Reason to have done this...  :)  I have been able
to mount the new ext2 fs readonly, but r/w appears to now only
be supported for the "old" style ext2 fs.

-kc