Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 1996 13:31:11 +0000
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        toor@dyson.iquest.net, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Subject:   Re: calcru: negative time:

> Like malloc(3) is very very carefully documented to not work in signal
> handlers? ;-)

yeah, right, and people keep making signal handlers along the lines of:

	sighup() {
		printf("Ignoring sighub, why did you do that ???\n");
	}
:-(

I don't see the problem in the kernel, if the net code calls malloc, worst
case malloc will go to the VM system and ask for space, if the vm system
is already locked (splvm or otherwise) it will fail, and (hopefully) malloc
was called with NOWAIT so everything is fine, apart from the dropped packets.

Anyway, what I really wanted to come down to, is that we should start to
look at locks around actual specific datastructures, rather than these
global locks, SMP/AMP will be here soon, and we need to address this
problem then.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.