Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 11:13:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie needs help configuring soundblaster 16 pci

>   pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1274, dev=0x1371) at 19.0 irq 11
>
> I think it has something to do with it, but I haven't the faintest idea what
> it means or what I'm supposed to do about it.

	It could well be your card. Add pcm0 and sbc0 to your
   kernel directives, and one you have rebuild the kernel and
   installed it, go to /dev and do a MAKEDEV snd0. Reboot, and
   you should have sound.

> 	Or point me to somewhere where I can find the information.

	The Handbook and the Tutorials (plus Daemon Diary) at www.
   freebsd.org are good places to look as well. However, w/4.0, things
   have changed enough that those places are a bit out of date.

> tried the FreeBSD FAQ and list archives but couldn't find anything appropriate.
> Please don't flame too badly if this is a question that comes up all the time,

	Since this question only comes up twice a day or so :-) I am
   amazed the mailing list archives didn't have anything to offer.
   Just searching the "questions" mail archive with the search word
   of "soundblaster" should have returned hundreds of hits...

							Bruce