Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:33:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kld screensavers

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, John Hay wrote:

> It looks like the kld screensavers hasn't been converted from lkm's
> to kld's yet. It looks like it has just been moved from the lkm
> directory to sys/modules. I have converted one of them (daemon_saver)
> and it seems to be working fine. Is this the kind of chnages needed?
> Is there something more (or less) needed? If this is ok, I will
> commit it and do the rest of the screensavers... Or is someone else
> busy with it... Or is there some other plan?
>
> One thing that I'm unsure about is in DECLARE_MODULE() if SI_SUB_PSEUDO
> is the right one to use for the screen savers.

It looks about right and SI_SUB_PSEUDO is sufficiently late that it
shouldn't disturb anything.  Any time after SI_SUB_CONFIGURE should work I
think.

It would be nice if the add_scrn_saver/remove_scrn_saver goop was factored
into a generic module event handler which can be used by all screen
savers.  Have a look at the CDEV_MODULE #define in sys/conf.h for a
possible way of doing this.

If the generic module handler chains onto an optional user-supplied
handler, then extra initialisation (allocating message in this case) can
be done by each saver without repeating the registration code.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039