Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 17:44:13 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is profiling code broken?

>I recompiled my kernel with freshly supped sources and the problem
>went away.  The old kernel with the problem was built from sources
>dated 9 Oct 96.  What is strange about the situation is that I ran
>some profiled code last week without a problem.  The only things I

I think it was (is) a hardware problem.

>One other question:  during a make world the profiled libraries are
>built with the -p compiler option.  Shouldn't this be -pg?  Each time
>I try to link an executable compiled with -p, ld complains about
>/usr/lib/mcrt0.o missing.

It makes no difference except for linking.  If it made a difference,
then I think -p might require more code than -pg, so it is reasonable
for -p to be the default for libraries (another set of libraries would
be too many).  The extra code might be for per-function counters and
possibly code to increment the counters.  For gprof, the counters are
allocated together with information about the call graph because
separate counters would have small or negative benefits.  I removed
the generation of the separate counters from gcc a long time ago.
They just wasted space (and time to pass pointers to them) because
gprof didn't use them and we didn't have gprof.

Bruce