Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:51:45 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP kernel Problems FBSD 4.0-20000214

I tried to install FreebSD 4.0-20000214  on Siemens/Nixdorf PCE-5Smp.
The machine is equippted with 256 MB RAM, Mylex DAC960DPT RAID 5 controller
and one diskarray of 12 GB. PhoenixBIOS Version is 4.04.3 1997.
Installing a single processor kernel works fine. The machine has two
Pentium 100 processors and can be upgraded up to 4x P100. When trying to install
a SMP kernel, mptable faults with no entries listed and says MP FSP table HOSED.
Starting a kernel, compiled as a SMP kernel, with standard entries as recommended
fails.
On the identical machine, same BIOS version, we run Windows NT Enterprise Server.
Looking up the system infos under NT says, that we have a MPS 1.4 SPEC Apic. NT
has no problems to fit on this system as a multiprocessor system.

Has anybody an idea what could be wrong? Is figuring out SMP Specs for FBSD that
much difficult than for Windows NT? Are there any hints?

When usinmg the tool mptable I get an empty recommendation table and the end of this
procedure is that MP FSP is HOSED! as result. I don't know what's going on ...

Gruss O. Hartmann