Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 08:40:55 -0000
From:      "Mike Avery (on the road)" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PR broken? was Re: Linux not FreeBSD?

On 28 Jun 99, at 0:27, John Baldwin wrote:

> Eventually, FreeBSD is going to have to tailor to a wide base of people, not
> just Unix hackers if it wants to leave its mark.  While it's still being
> developed, we don't every Joe Schmoe, I agree.  It will have to change sometime
> though.  I think the first group we should target (and I think FreeBSD should
> be heavily targeting them now) is Universities, before they all end up using
> Linux and leaving BSD out in the cold.  Somehow, we need to make BSD attractice
> to researchers.  I wish I knew more of how to do this.

I somehow doubt every Joe Schmoe will be using any flavor of Unix
any time soon.  It's gotten too much of a "hard to learn, hard to
use" reputation.  Undoing that reputation will take some real work.

However, I find the idea of "while it's still being developed" to be an
interesting one.  When FreeBSD is no longer being developed, it
will be dead.  Just like any other OS that is no longer being
developed.

Times change.  Hardware platforms change.  People's needs
change.  And a living OS has to change to accomodate that.

I hope no one is waiting until FreeBSD is "done" to start promoting
it....

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Product Warning
WARNING:  This product attracts every other piece of matter in the
universe, including the products of other manufacturers, with a
force proportional to the product of the masses and inversely
proportional to the distance between them.