Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 19:54:18 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@pagesz.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Tommy Hallgren <thallgren@yahoo.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1R ISO CD Image ??

Jordan K. Hubbard:
 |I'm not making ISO images available anymore due to several
 |factors:
 |
 |1. Transferring 650MB images from ftp.cdrom.com uses up an "ftp slot"
 |   (out of the 3600 available) for quite awhile in comparison to the
 |   folks who just want to grab a 50K zip file and be gone again.  In

True.  Seems like the last one was mirrored to other FreeBSD dist sites
though (thank goodness!  As is wellknown, access to ftp.cdrom.com out here
on the East side isn't too hot most of the day).  I'm sure that helped the
load.

 |2. I personally feel that it hurts sales to put the full product CD up
 |   for FTP.

Probably so.  It's good to have a vendor dealing FreeBSD for corporate
customers.  However, I won't speak for others, but for a me (a Joe-user
that likes to stay up with the latest RELEASE), $40 per release is too much
gold from the pocketbook.  Was just thinking of upgrading before CheapBytes
gets around to cutting 3.1.

I wonder if WalnutCreek might consider a "FreeBSD Lite" version of each new
RELEASE which is just CD#1 for $5-10.  Being a Joe-user, that's all I ever
use anyway.  I'd sure buy it.  I'd get the product I want, and know I'm
supporting the main FreeBSD corporate sponsor at the same time.

I think WC would have a really winner with this offering.  Doesn't even
need a slick CD label.  Just ship me the data! :-)

 |3. It's not something I should even particularly need to do given that
 |   anyone else could do it just as easily and absolve me of even
 |   having to ponder the cruel trade-offs of point #2.  You take one
 |   FreeBSD distribution directory, one XFree86 directory, one pruned
 |   (to fit one what's left of one 650MB CD image) packages directory,
 |   blop it all into a single directory and run mkisofs over the whole
 |   mess (scripts for doing which have always been in /usr/share/examples/worm)
 |   and bingo, you've got an installation ISO image.

Works fine if you have time to burn.  Full-time work + grad school ==>
deferred to summer vacation. :-(

 |   ...I'm happy since I don't have to deal with people tugging on my
 |   sleeve and whining for ISO images like they were alms for the poor!
 |   :-)

Sheesh Jordan, don't be so indirect.  Just say what you mean! :-)

But seriously, I mainly wanted to sample the community and see if there was
sufficient demand/desire for images.  So far, only two people, which of
course doesn't even touch justifying the effort too cook or load on FTP.

I do think Walnut Creek would have a winner with a 1-CD, no book, -RELEASE
offering for $5-10 bucks though.

Randall