Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 00:12:21 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Craig Burgess <craig@CheetahUSA.net>
Cc:        alpha <FreeBSD-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Should I wait for 5-RELEASE for "new" machine coming?

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 03:09:46PM -0800, Craig Burgess wrote:
> So far I have this info: "Model 82-PBF5W-VA. Dual Alpha 21164 64bit
> 533Mhz, 4 meg cache each... PBXGB-CA Powerstorm Graphics." (It's
> from EBay; I hope I don't regret it.)

Sounds like an AS1200 (??). Can you check the picture gallery on
http://www.freebsd.org/~wilko/Alpha-gallery/

I think the AS1200 is the 5305. Is it white or blue?

> I couldn't find any reference to this model on the Compaq site. If

Sounds like a white-box NT-Alpha. No worries, FreeBSD does not care
for NT-only and runs on it. Tru64 and VMS won't though. (without
hacking that is)

> this thing sounds familiar and here are any gotchas I should know
> about, please let me know (probably best off-list). I recall
> reading an interview (?) in which JH? said that FreeBSD v5 will
> have much better SMP support.

-current on Alpha 'currently' gives you premature grey hair. Please
try -stable, that is pretty good these days.

W/