Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:00:03 +1100 (EST)
From:      Philip Sydney Lavers <psl02@uow.edu.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   linux compatibility on 64 bit FreeBSD 5.4 and 6.0

Gentlemen,

I have spent several days reading all the documentation I can find but no reference to my problem.

linux compatibility:
# kldload linux#
   OR
linux_enable="YES"

both work on my FreeBSD 5.4 32 bit athlon.

On my opteron and athlon64 machines with FreeBSD 5.4 or 6.0 (both 64 bit versions) the linux_enable="YES" in rc.conf has no effect, whilst
# kldload linux

gives
kldload: can't load linuxkldload: can't load linux: File exists

kldstat confirms that no linux.ko is present

I would be grateful for any advice as I have a 64 bit linux binary that i need to run

Thanking you,

Philip Lavers