Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 08:23:39 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Ceri <ceri@techsupport.co.uk>
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: uptime limits

Ceri wrote:

> On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 02:08:32PM +0300, Evren Yurtesen said:
> > I have heard hmm actually read at www.netcraft.com that FreeBSD doesnt
> > show uptimes longer than 497 days and the uptime information would come
> > back to 0 (especially in recent releases)
>
> If you have an uptime of 497 days then you basically have a system riddled
> with security holes.
> I personally believe that the integrity of the system is way more important
> than whether you didn't turn it off for 84 years or whatever.

I disagree. I have a production system that's been running over a year
without an upgrade. (the uptime would reflect this except for 2 extended
power outages) While this sytem has several security holes because of
the age of the software, none of these security holes has been a danger
to what the system is doing, and therefore necessitated an upgrade.
I do agree, however, that if one did come up that threatened to open
this machine up, I would disregard the uptime to do the upgrade.

-Bill