Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 2013 22:41:47 +0100
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   rc.d/jail not loading default devfs rulesets

Hi there,

is it intentional that rc.d/jail does not load the default devfs =
rulesets on current and 10.0? It used to work like this on 9.x and =
earlier, now you have to explicitly load them (e.g. with =
devfs_load_rulesets in rc.conf).
If you do not do this, ruleset 4 (devfsrules_jail) will just be created =
and left empty on mount of the in-jail /dev, making the normal set of =
device nodes available. That is quite an easy escape path :)
This does not seem to be documented anywhere and is somewhat surprising, =
so I suspect it is an oversight? Apart from that I really like the work =
on jail.conf, thanks a lot!

While looking around in the docs, I also noticed that jail(8) has =
contradicting info on the default ruleset for jails:
	devfs_ruleset: "A value of zero (default) means no ruleset is =
enforced."
	mount.devfs: =93[=85] or a default of ruleset 4: devfsrules_jail =
[=85]=94
The latter seems to be correct, though it will probably be an empty =
ruleset as described above.

Best wishes,
Jan