Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 11:43:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggested addition to /etc/security

On 2 Nov 1997, Wolfram Schneider wrote:

> >   How does this check improve security?
> >   Also, shouldn't the security script be run under idprio?
>
> No. find is disk I/O bound. idprio set only the CPU scheduling priority.

  find is perhaps disk i/o bound, depeding on the speed of the disks and
cpu.  I notice here that doing just a "find . > /dev/null" rachets up the
load quite nicely.  More complex find options will hurt even more.

  Also, chewing up disk i/o bandwidth isn't a good thing either, will hurt
other applications.

  Is it possible to run /etc/security and not have performance degraded
during this period?  It seems that either the CPU and/or disk bandwith
will takes a big hit.

> Root-Cron jobs should never started with idprio because a non-root
> user process can block the jobs. This is a security risk ;-)
>
> --
> Wolfram Schneider   <wosch@apfel.de>   http://www.apfel.de/~wosch/

Tom