Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 09:32:06 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Bagnara Stefano <bago@datasail.it>, FreeBSD filesystems <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RAIDing freebsd....

On Monday,  9 November 1998 at 10:00:56 +0100, Bagnara Stefano wrote:
> This is the first time i get so many answer to a question in a mailing
> list....
> many thanx to all...
>
> So let's sort the problems:
>
> 1. I need 8/10 gigs of useable space on the system and i'll try to get it
> with software RAID: should be better to use 3 x 4gigs than 2 x 9 gigs (as my
> original idea). After all your posts i concluded (sorry for my english) that
> 3 x 4 gigs is less expensive and faster, but... is the software RAID
> configuration the same? or with RAID3 it is more difficult than
> RAID1?

No software RAID-3 is available.  Do you mean RAID-5?  With RAID-5,
even 3 disks is rather on the low side.  2 disks is too few: in this
case, RAID-1 is a better option, but you lose 50% of the storage
space.  RAID-5 will lose one disk, so it's better to have a lot of
disks.

> 2. This is the first time i install FreeBSD. I used a lot linux before. Can
> i set up the whole system with software RAID and get it to work anyway if
> one disk fail? (as in HW RAID).

Yes, with Vinum, but not with ccd.  You need to reconfigure and reboot
to recover from a ccd disk failure.

> 3. Where can i find an hardware compatibility lists for RAID controllers?
> i've read the Handbook but i only found classic SCSI cards. Any suggestion
> about a specific controller?

Currently DPT's the only game in town.

Greg