Date:      Mon, 03 Sep 2001 09:32:32 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Michelle Brownsworth <michelle@primelogic.com>, Leo Clark <clark_l@efn.org>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Orinoco PCI cards and FreeBSD-STABLE

For what it's worth, you may wish to consider buying a Netgear
MA401/MA301 combination instead. The MA301 PCI adapter is not actually a
  pcic, so it doesn't rely on or interact with Warner's recent changes.
This gives it an ever-so-slightly higher chance of being a trouble-free
installation (though to be fair I never had any trouble during the
recent period of relative upheaval).

The downsides are that you need a recent RELENG_4 tree for this device
to work and it is not hot-pluggable like pcics are and the driver does
not support inserting any card other than a Prism2 802.11b card.

I believe this combination may be had cheaper than Orinoccos as well.
And it has "Gold" equivalent WEP (though even that should be regarded as
plaintext nowadays). The only downside is that the Windows driver for
the Netgear stuff is not plumbed to handle roaming (that is, multiple
profiles with different SSID and WEP settings) as nicely as the Orinocco
stuff is (of course this is entirely irrelevant under FreeBSD).