Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 17:28:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   cc/apache13-ssl Port Problem

I'm trying to build the apache13-ssl port on a 2.2.8-STABLE machine.
I am getting an error near the final steps of compilation that is giving me
a headache. Here is the output of a make,

# make
===>  Building for apache-1.3.6+ssl_1.32
===> src
===> src/os/unix
<=== src/os/unix
===> src/ap
<=== src/ap
===> src/main
<=== src/main
===> src/modules
===> src/modules/standard
<=== src/modules/standard
===> src/modules/proxy
<=== src/modules/proxy
===> src/modules/ssl
<=== src/modules/ssl
<=== src/modules
cc -c  -I./os/unix -I./include -I/usr/local/include   -funsigned-char -DTARGET=\"httpsd\" -DAPACHE_SSL -O -pipe `./apaci` modules.c
cc -c  -I./os/unix -I./include -I/usr/local/include   -funsigned-char -DTARGET=\"httpsd\" -DAPACHE_SSL -O -pipe `./apaci` buildmark.c
cc  -funsigned-char -DTARGET=\"httpsd\" -DAPACHE_SSL -O -pipe `./apaci`  -L/usr/local/lib -lRSAglue -lrsaref   -o httpsd buildmark.o modules.o  modules/standard/libstandard.a  modules/ssl/libssl.a  main/libmain.a  ./os/unix/libos.a  ap/libap.a   -lcrypt -L/usr/local/lib -lssl -lcrypto
rsa_lib.o: Undefined symbol `_RSA_PKCS1_RSAref' referenced from text segment
err_all.o: Undefined symbol `_ERR_load_RSAREF_strings' referenced from text segment
*** Error code 1

Stop.
[snip 6 more 'Error code 1' messages]

Thing is that those two references sure do exist in
/usr/local/lib/libcrypto.a, and if you look at that last 'cc' line, that
lib is referenced right there. I reordered the cc command by hand (you see
that there are two -L/usr/local/lib entries, is that confusing the
compiler?) and the line seemed to work; it builds a httspid. However,
if I then go to make the whole port again, it tries this command again...
And *CRASH*.

I could spend an hour deciphering the Makefiles for the port and/or
for Apache itself, but I hoped someone out there had hit this before
and knew of a fix.

Thanks.