Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 13:46:24 -0500
From:      Bill Renneker <bill@itctel.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installation question (from CD)

Hi-

I have an older 486 computer, running Windows 95.  I'd like to replace
Windows with Free BSD (I just purched the CD distribution).  I don't care
about keeping DOS either, but maybe this is necessary.

I'm not certain from the documentation whether I need to remove Windows
first (the disk is not partitioned), or whether perhaps installing FreeBSD
would remove Windows. If I need to remove Windows, can you tell me how?
Also, does DOS need to stay--and if not, how do I uninstall DOS?

I'm using an external Backpack CD drive connected to the parallel port that
I plan to use for the CD installation.  Do you anticipate any problems with
this?

Thank you for your help. I'm very excited to get this installed.

Bill Renneker
bill@itctel.com