Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:25:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        scott@statsci.com
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Here's a radical idea...

Scott Blachowicz wrote:

> "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > 	how about a script that uses the contents fo the Makefiles
> > 	to verify that distribution is still at the site.
>
> I think I saw something like this already float by on this thread, but I
> can't find it now and a search on the web page turned up zero matches...
>
> Why not set MASTER_SITES to something like this?
>
>     $(FREEBSD_ORG_OVERRIDE) \
>     ftp://where.ever.com/what.ever \
>     $(FREEBSD_ORG_FALLBACK)
>
> Then and individual could override a default value (of
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/...) for either or both of those variables depending
> on what's desired.  If I don't want to try freebsd.org first, I do
>
>     make FREEBSD_ORG_OVERRIDE= fetch

	this is good--saves people from ripping out their
	hair when grying to get a port built.

	the port could be out of date.  a newer realesae may be available.
	a nightly script would tell the maintainer that it may be
	time to create a new port, better than waiting for someone
	to notice that a new version it out , no?
jmb