Date:      Thu, 15 May 2003 11:19:06 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        Arjan van Leeuwen <avleeuwen@piwebs.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with Perl port on -CURRENT

Arjan,

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 09:23:52PM +0200, Arjan van Leeuwen wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade my lang/perl5 port on -CURRENT, but the port
> fails in the configure phase. It seems to want to use -ldl (why?). Is
> there an easy way to fix this?

Please make sure that you DO NOT have libdl.* in your /usr/lib.  This is
a known problem, and it is a problem with your setup, not with
lang/perl5 port.  libdl library is a linux library which is normally
found in /compat/linux/lib.  It has no business to be present in
/usr/lib.

The more I work with lang/perl5* ports, the more I am convinced that
unless I override every parameter perl's Configure understands, such
things are bound to happen!

Alright.  Next time I modify lang/perl5 I'll put a safeguard for this.
It is the third time I see this.  I wonder, though, how people manage to
get this library there...  :-)

> Checking for optional libraries...
> What libraries to use? [-ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt -lutil]
> What optimizer/debugger flag should be used?
> [-O2 -pipe -mfpmath=sse -march=athlon-xp]
> Any additional cc flags?
> [-DAPPLLIB_EXP="/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/BSDPAN" -fno-strict-aliasing
> -I/usr/local/include]
> Let me guess what the preprocessor flags are...
> Any additional ld flags (NOT including libraries)?
> [-Wl,-E  -L/usr/local/lib]
> Checking your choice of C compiler and flags for coherency...
> I've tried to compile and run the following simple program:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> int main() { printf("Ok\n"); exit(0); }
>
> I used the command:
>
>         /usr/local/bin/gcc -o try -O2 -pipe -mfpmath=sse -march=athlon-xp
> -DAPPLLIB_EXP="/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/BSDPAN" -fno-strict-aliasing
> -I/usr/local/include -Wl,-E -L/usr/local/lib try.c -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt
> -lutil
>         ./try
>
> and I got the following output:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldl
> I can't compile the test program.
> You have a BIG problem.  Shall I abort Configure [y]
> Ok.  Stopping Configure.

\Anton.
--
You shouldn't be intimidated by this issue at all, since Perl is your
friend. -- Apache mod_perl guide