Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:00:45 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Entities for some &nbsp; instances (was: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq book.sgml)

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 02:59:29PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2002-08-13 04:14 +0000, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> >   Log:
> >   Explain how a partition can be more than 100% full.
> >   While I'm there:
> >   -stable/-STABLE, Windows-95 and Windows95 --> Windows 95
>
> >   Revision  Changes    Path
> >   1.463     +26 -3     doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.sgml
>
> I'd probably prefer &ms.win.95; that expands to something like:
>
> 	Microsoft Windows&nbsp;95

Indeed it's a better solution.

> and similar entities that ensure that when our documents are typeset
> and beautifuly printed on paper, there is absolutely *no* chance of
> something like this appearing on paper (depending on existing margins
> and paper size, of course):
>
> 	... Microsoft Windows
> 	95 ...
>
> The &ms.*; entities could also include stuff like:
>
> 	&ms.dos.6;
> 	&ms.office.97;
>
> But I'm very skeptical about introducing entities for stuff like this.
> The main intention would be to make it easier to type consistently
> something that looks prettier than "foo&nbsp;bar" and is not as hard
> to remember.  Does this sound crazy to anyone?

Entities creation is maybe not needed for something not used
"on every page", but the code is easier to read, and I think about
people using many sgml codes: have a look to one sgml file of the
french Handbook for example :))) It's a really nightmare :)))

As you said entities have another benefit: the consistency between all
docs.

But I should *shut up* cause I forgot to use &os.current; and
&os.stable; in a previous commit :)

Marc