Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 23:27:59 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Jeff Beley <jeffb@cameron.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cvsup

On 2/11/00, 8:17:29 PM, Jeff Beley <jeffb@cameron.edu> wrote regarding
Cvsup:

> How does one upgrade a source tree to the lastest 4.0?  Is the
> standard-supfile the right one?

> --Jeff

Dear Jeff Beley,

essentially, you have answered your own question.

Of course, you will have to modify the standard-supfile (e.g.
specifying a suitable cvsupserver, or adding the cryptographic code.)

However, to get some insight into cvsup mechanisms, you migh wish to
have a look at the FAQs found at http://www.polstra.com, as well as at
the handbook and the other examples in /usr/share/examples/cvsup. In
particular, you might find interesting the considerations upon
"list=3Dcvs:RELENG " and "list=3Dcvs" for a correct updating procedure
to -current.

Please note: downloading the sources is the first and easiest step in
the upgrading process. Albeit the guidelines to perform a "normal"
make world are contained in the handbook, the specific upgrade process
from 3.x to -current requires some additional measures. In the
following I include a recent document which provides some help: I will
soon try to follow its indications :-)

To whom it may concern:

I initially wrote this to jkh, but he suggested I forward it here.
I'm not subscribed to this list, but it may be helpful for the
handbook.

A small note -- I've been using FreeBSD for a number of months now,
but have been admin'ing (Linux|Solaris) for a number of years.

This isn't really a complaint about the release install, but some
quick documentation would be necessary as far as doing a cvs update
and following (build|install)world procedure.  I've taken the liberty
of writing this up without explanations as far as the luck I
personally had with the procedure.  I'll put in some notes as to why
they must be done in the order presented:
(some of this is thanks to people on the -current mailing list; their
names escape me now)

cvsup the -current source using
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile as an outline
cd /usr/src/usr.bin/genassym && make obj ; make depend all install
clean
cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config && make depend all install clean
cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
<create new kernel config here>
config new_kernel
cd ../../compile/new_kernel
cp /kernel /kernel-3.x-backup
make depend && make && make install
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
cd /usr/src/sys/boot
make install    // can't be built on it's own - requires the newly
built \
                // cc flags etc.  a buildworld is required prior to
this
disklabel -B <disk device... wd0, wd1, da0, da1, etc, etc>
shutdown -r now
boot single user mode
<file system mounting may be needed here>
cd /usr/src
make -k -DNOINFO installworld
                // must be done under new kernel due to 19990929 \
                // notes.
mergemaster     // take note that `xntpd` is now called `ntpd`
                // also, sendmail.cf moved to /etc/mail/
shutdown -r now
<transition to ata stuff at your leisure>
system should be fine

Aside note by Salvo: the docs issue might be fixed soon: I have read
some favo(u)rable reports in the past few hours. Make your own choice
;-)

I hope this helps, not very well documented and most stuff can be
found in the UPDATING file, but I think a suitable step-by-step would
assist a great deal.  I think I remembered everything I did. =3D]

As always, YMMV.

--
Marius Strom <marius@alpha1.net>
Professional Geek/Unix System Administrator

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...
...In practice, there is a big difference.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

<snip>

> For direct FTP installations, please see:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/{i386,alpha}/4.0-20000208-CU=
RRENT

> If you're looking for installable ISO images, please see:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/4.0-20000208-CURR=
ENT

> Thanks!
>
> - Jordan

Good luck