Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 08:59:45 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifconfig reports bogus netmask

On Tue, Dec 16, 1997 at 10:39:08AM -0500, dennis wrote:

> Is there any chance of this getting fixed? Its been broken forever. I'm
> talking about PTP interfaces, where the routes are inherently host
> mask routes. ifconfig reports the natural mask or whatever you give
> it....and its rather confusing trying to explain to the woodchucks that
> its wrong.

Well, ifconfig reports the net mask that is set.  And yes, it's
inappropriate for "real" point-to-point interfaces.  But it's not the
reporting that's wrong, it's the setting.  Just set all ones when
setting the interface, and you'll be OK.

I suppose I should mention that there's a sizeable minority who think
this is the way the net mask *should* be.  Maybe one of them will
explain, I keep forgetting.

Greg