Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 1995 13:34:35 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
To:        Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory usage of BSD

> a named. There shouldn't be more than 1 or 2 shells running. I am trying
> to decide how much memory to put in these boxes to prevent disk swapping
> and thereby get the best performance for CGI-BIN type work.

I think the only thing that one can really say about this kind of
thing is "YMMV" (Your Mileage May Vary).  Start with 16MB of memory
or so and work up from there.  Since the 72 pin memory is 32 bit,
you at least have the luxury of not having to throw the old memory
out every time you upgrade to a larger increment! :-)

Truly though, there's no rule of thumb where such things are concerned.
There are just too many variables involved.  Start small and work your
way up, would be my best suggestion!

					Jordan