Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 20:16:09 +0200
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/faq book.sgml

--sl5MdczEF/OU2Miu

Hi,
On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 10:31:07AM -0700, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
[...] many things cut
>   Now that we have stylesheets that generate links to man.cgi in the html
>   output, start removing the old hardcoded links.
>   Inspired by:	German translation

to be precise, a
grep man\\.cgi /usr/doc/de_DE.ISO_8859-1/books/faq/book.sgml | wc -l

returns 0 and has done that since $FreeBSD 1.1.  The change I've just
committed removes about 50% of the hardcoded man.cgi links from the
English version.  The net result of this change is 0 right now, I've
just replaced <ulink href=3D"....man.cgi?foo">foo</ulink> with &man.foo.x;

The other half of the hardcoded links is a different matter. Most of them
are of the form <ulink href=3D"....man.cgi?foo">/etc/foo/</ulink>. These
should be removed as well. Right now, there are three possible methods
to achieve this goal:

a) The method I used for the German version: You can't make an omelette
   without breaking some eggs, replace them with <filename></filename>
   or whatever is appropriate in the situation and loose the links.

b) Reduce the amount of links lost add do a) but add a "(see &man.foo.x;)"
   in each case. Keeps the links but clutters the text.

c) A somewhat middle ground. Do a) and add "(see &man.foo.x;)" for the
   first occurence in each quandaentry entity.

My personal preference is c) even if that means an extra hour of work
to change the German version as well.

Comments? Opinions? Etc?

/s/Udo
PS: If you're asking yourself why the hardcoded links are bad: Some of them
were rather strange ("man.cgi?bla(x)"), some were broken, most of them did
not include the section number and could break/display the wrong manapge,
it was a lot of effort to redirect users to a translated version without
large amounts of hacks, it sent all man.cgi queries to the international
website (bottleneck/single point of failure anyone?), generating them was
a pain in posterior (10-15 bytes for a &man.foo.x;, about three lines for
a hardcoded link), ...

--=20
He who findeth sensuous pleasures in the bodies of lush, hot, pink
damsels is not righteous, but he can have a lot more fun.

--sl5MdczEF/OU2Miu

--sl5MdczEF/OU2Miu--