Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:24:50 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs repository nits and gnats

John Polstra wrote:

[My silly speculation about cvs lockfiles and cvsup deleted]

> I think you may be misinterpreting the symptoms,

	That's entirely possible.

> because I don't know
> of any way for lock files to propagate off of freefall with CVSup.
> All lock files are specifically excluded in the server's config files
> -- they won't even make it to cvsup-master, let alone to the mirrors
> such as cvsupN.freebsd.org.  What were the names of the files you
> thought were lock files?  It sounds to me like maybe they were created
> by something on your local system -- not mirrored via CVSup.

	Well, I don't make any commits to this cvs tree, only checkouts.
Unfortunately I didn't save the filename of any of the really
incriminating files. The one that killed my checkout was a directory in
src/games/primes. I also found these files in the logs
I did keep, from the /usr/src that was checked out with cvsup, not cvs:

-rw-r-----   1 root     wheel        7.0k Mar 22 09:55 .#Makefile.1.232
-rw-r-----   1 root     wheel         23k Mar  8 22:28
.#Makefile.inc1.1.120
-rw-r-----   1 root     wheel         24k Mar 24 12:21 .#UPDATING.1.58

	I also found this file in my CVSROOT on one of my repositories:

./sup/src-all/#cvs.cvsup-749.0

It's actually dated March 24 1998, which predates the creation of this
repository. Hrrrmm....

	Aha! Part of the mystery solved at least. I started this repository
from the snapshot CD dated 7/5/99. I just untarred that repository
snapshot into a new directory and found the above file, and the lock
directory I mentioned earlier:

drwxr-x---   2 doug     wheel         512 Jul 30  1999
./src/games/primes/#cvs.rfl.scratch1.cdrom.com.381
-rw-r-----   1 doug     wheel        2.0M Mar 24  1998
./sup/src-all/#cvs.cvsup-749.0

	In any case, my purpose for posting was to notify the PTB in case there
was a problem. If anyone is qualified to state categorically that there
is no problem it's probably you. :) The actual lock directory above was
my chief concern, and now that I know I didn't inherit it from cvsup,
I'm happy. Thanks for taking the time to help me learn...

Doug
--
    "So, the cows were part of a dream that dreamed itself into
existence? Is that possible?" asked the student incredulously.