Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 23:15:36 +0100
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        robin@is.co.za
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   user management stuff

Robin Lunn writes:
>I was horrified to see that /usr/sbin/adduser does no locking of the password
>file!  I recommend that instead of attempting to add the entry directly that
>the program simply invoke chpass -a <list> which will see to it that locking
>is done etc.  Much safer.

Old chpass (FreeBSD 2.0) core dumped.

>Also, I've made a userdel script in perl.  It was written on company time and
>so my company has the copyright.  The company is however happy to allow this
>to be freely released.  Should I put this on a news group or would someone
>like to have a look and perhaps put it into future FreeBSD releases?

This is the 3th deluser perl script.

I don't like the idea of a delete user script. It is too complex. I
recommend first a man page with a brief description of possible
problems.

- delete password entry
- delete user from group database (/etc/group), may be delete
  groups
- delete ppp password (/etc/ppp/*)
- delete slip entries (/etc/sliphome*)
- delete user from /etc/ftpusers
- check for other users with same uid (may be also for groups)
- remove home dir
- remove WWW files (/~user), which are not in HOME located
- check other FS, $ find / -user user -print
- delete user from /etc/inetd.conf, remove files which owned by user
- delete user from /etc/rc.local if the user start programs
- remove mailbox
- delete mail aliases (/etc/aliases, may be /etc/sendmail.cf)
- delete crontab entries (/etc/crontab, /var/cron/allow,
/var/cron/deny, /var/cron/tabs/user)
- delete at(8) entries
- delete user phone numbers in /etc/phones
- remove quota

Wolfram