Date:      Thu, 05 Dec 2002 21:17:30 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>
Cc:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>, Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: maxusers and random system freezes

"Ronald G. Minnich" wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, David Schultz wrote:
>
> > Linux used to do that, but AFAIK it doesn't anymore.
>
> Linux puts kvm at 0xc0000000, kernel at physical 0x100000, etc. There
> was a time when you could address all of physical memory just by
> direct-mapping the PTEs, since base of 0xc0000000 means KVM space
> of 0x40000000.
>
> Those days are gone.

Sort-of.  They now use a milti-tiered memory pool system.  The first block
is direct mapped in using 4MB pages.  That works out to something like
930MB or so.  The balance (they have a 1GB KVA space too) is pageable to
allow the kernel to access memory outside of the first 930MB (or whatever
the exact amount is).

What linux does that I find interesting is that they agressively *move*
user pages in order to get best use of that 930MB pool.

Cheers,
-Peter