Date:      Fri,  2 Apr 2004 08:14:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>
To:        dislists@updegrove.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrade from 4.8 SMP to 4.9 SMP causes unexplained rebooting!

I had rebooting problems with 4.9 that I did not have with 4.8 or a
recent 4-STABLE - I would recommend backing up to 4.8 and then going
to 4.10 when released.  Alternately, a recent 4-STABLE will be very
close to 4.10.

Inevitably there will be several people on this group that will say
that this is a sign of bad hardware, but if so, my hardware is very
choosy about which releases it will fail with.

- Mike H.

   (yes sorry for the cross-posting but I haven't been making much progress
   with this problem and my poor disks are taking a beating from all this
   rebooting)

   A 4.8-STABLE machine I have been running with no problems for over 130
   days straight uptime is now having unexplained reboots AFTER upgrading
   to 4.9 STABLE.