Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 15:39:48 +0000 ()
From:      Carlos Amengual <amengual@sadeya.cesca.es>
To:        Piero Serini <piero@strider.ibenet.it>
Cc:        hostmaster@host.bemarnet.es, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with mail reception

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, Piero Serini wrote:

> > > I have a Web site in Spain connected to the Internet running FreeBSD v2.0.5. The name of the
> > > machine is host.bemarnet.es, and I need to send and receive mail using addresses like
> > > antonio@bemarnet.es instead of antonio@host.bemarnet.es. How can I do It ? Nowadays I can receive
> > > e-mail messages with the long address format (i.e. user@host.bemarnet.es)
> >
> > Need to put the appropriate MX record in the DNS database file of the
>
> Read the question again. It has nothing to do with MX records.
> He is asking about MASQUERADE.

I would never say that this has "nothing to do" with MX records. Putting
an MX record and changing Cw line of sendmail.cf not only is a simple
way to do it (many, if not most systems, won't even have installed the
"/usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf" path for m4 macro config), but has its own
advantages as it will be easy to follow when someone tries to install
more machines under the domain. In fact, it is the preferred procedure at
many places. My own machine is arranged this way.

Many people does not use m4 at all to configure sendmail. Of course, it is
generally perfectly adequate to use the MASQUERADE_AS macro, but it likely
does no more than putting a DM symbol definition in the .cf file. This is
essentially the same as above, but hides it somewhat. I do not see a clear
advantage, and it is not advisable to use the m4 approach if their .cf
file is locally customized without m4. One first needs at least to see the
file to decide.

Your method is only one approach, not the only one as you imply.

Carlos