Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 09:39:48 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        keithl@wakko.gil.net (Keith Leonard)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape 3.01??

> Howdy,
>
> Sorry for all the questions lately, however:
>
> I've downloaded Netscape 3.01 for BSD/FeeBSD (unknown???) and installed [I
> tried package add and it failed - apparently the directories have changed]
> it. It mentions XKeysm??? (something) which should be in /usr/lib/X11. so
> I created the directory and put it there. It still craps out on startup
> and fails to to function. I didn't have this problem with the older
> version (but it looks like they aren't offering the older version any
> longer - hows that for progress)

You should install netscape once from the FreeBSD ports or
packages so that you have the correct installation prerequisites
for newer versions. Installing a newer netscape is then a piece of cake.

netscape itself is a shell script under FreeBSD which does the
appropriate environmantal settings and then starts the binary,
netscape.bin.

It all sits in /usr/local/lib/netscape