Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:21:20 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Kevin Way <kevin@insidesystems.net>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Anyone interested in improving postgresql scaling?

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 02:51:55PM -0400, Kevin Way wrote:

> I built 7.0 as of 6 days ago, and ran the same test using 8-cores, ULE=20
> and 4BSD.  The results are available at:
>=20
> http://blog.insidesystems.net/articles/2007/04/11/postgresql-scaling-on-6=
-2-and-7-0
>=20
> Unfortunately, I can't run the additional tests, as the machines in=20
> question have now been deployed to production.  I should have similar=20
> equipment available in a few weeks, and will try the other tests at that=
=20
> point.

That's better but still not comparable to my results.  One important
change you may have missed was to enable MALLOC_PRODUCTION in
/usr/src/lib/libc/stdlib/malloc.c.  This disables malloc debugging
which may have significant overhead.

My results from about a month ago:

  http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/nickel.png

The big dip between 5-7 clients is believed to be due to a ULE bug
that has known cause but is not yet fixed (on dual core CPUs processes
are bouncing around between the two cores too much).  The main point
is that apart from this anomaly in the middle there is approximately
linear scaling from 1 to 8 CPUs.  On your system it is not scaling
linearly beyond 4.

I do have some other changes in my kernel but I don't think any of
them are enough to explain this difference.

Anyway, get back to us when you can retest with the above change.

Kris

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe--