Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:17:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Nielsen" <nielsen@memberwebs.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Steve" <sprasadi@addr.com>
Subject:   Re: plain text passwords

You should use an authentication module that uses hashed passwords.

And secondly you usually shouldn't authenticate against the system
passwords. But if you have to, try to find a solution that doesn't give the
the apache user (www, or nobody or whatever) read access to your shaddow
passwords.

One thing I used which worked well was the cyrus-sasl pwcheck daemon. Apache
has a module which authenticates against it. The pwcheck daemon runs as
root, relieving apache of the above need.

Cheers,

Nate