Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 95 22:57 PDT
From:      pete@puffin.pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multiple mail messages

In article <199509242106.OAA03837@phaeton.artisoft.com> Terry writes:

>I've sometimes wondered if it's worthwhile to hack the mail tools for a
>message id field to be respected by majorodomo when handling mail from
>someone on the basis of crossposts.

>I've also wondered about changing the header rewrite to be more elm
>friendly.  The elm program has "r(eply)" and "g(roup reply", and the
>way the headers come in from the mailing lists means you can "r" to the
>original sender or "g" to the mailing lists.
>One soloution would be to have majordomo delete duplicate targets from
>the to line.  That is, if it goes to multiple lists, then send it once
>to the recipients that are on multiple lists.
>
>This would require a n:m map of actual recipient lists and an i:j map
>to lists based on a message id field.  It's questionable whether this
>is realistic, given the processing requirements.

It is a somewhat harder problem than the netnews one but not much.

I'll admit that even here with only 3 sites being fed and 50-100mb/day
of news my history file is >40mb (but it works comfortably with a full-time
14.4k link to the net and another single 14.4k for uucp).  Does the sum of
all these lists approach 10mb/day?  (and what is the average message
length?  in netnews not counting the pictures groups it is very close to 2K.)

I feed all these lists into newsgroups here so even if I get extra copies
(from lists) I don't see them :-)  (and I look at mail first so any personal
replies I got can be ignored from trn's thread menu later when I look there.)

That way I get subject grouping (though 'references' isn't preserved so
I don't get good threading)

>Finally, this would once again break elm, since duplicate message would
>be distributed to a single list by list order of the recipient, and the
>use of the elm "filter" program would not guarantee proper list ordering.
>
>For instance, a crosspost to current/questions/hackers that "belonged"
>on questions would go to hackers only for the hackers+questions-list
>members, current for the current+hackers+questions-list and the
>current+questions-list and the current-list members, etc.

The way I have the newsgroups worked out here I'd get all of them but then
the message-id dups would eliminate all but the first.  The crossposts
would disappear here too, unless mail2news was smart enough to generate
a crosspost newsgroups: line on the first message :-(

Are there enough directly-connected or even well-connected uucp sites that
a news feed of all these groups would make sense?  (I use freebsd.questions,
etc here for local names, for example).  I could certainly handle
redistributing it in the Southern Calif area from a T1-connected site
(not here, though it wouldn't be *that* hard even here if done as news)
(said T1 site is a pair of ISPs using fbsd for (almost) all of their
servers...  (and I'm also set up to mail locally from news if it makes
sense; I already do this to get stuff to a couple of dos hosts from the
earthquakes news groups.)

A news distribution could even be done in parallel with mail if the gateway
were careful enough to never change msg ids...  (Wildcat and fido aren't
so nice :-(

-- Pete