Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 1999 23:12:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@Powered-By.AC>
To:        brian@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Marketing / Differentiating FreeBSD

Here's a few more...

o Ease of updates.  Everything canb e rebuilt with one simple command
  (make world).  All sources are fully integrated and in one source tree
  (/usr/src).  No running around getting Piece A from Site A, Piece B
  from Site B, etc. to update (as is the norm on Linux).

o The ports and packages collection.  Hundreds of already configured,
  ready to run applications available with just one install command.  Just
  as easy to build them yourself if you don't trust the pre-packaged
  versions (or want to build them with your own optimizations, etc.)

o Stable hardware support.  Becuase of the development model, you are
  assured that drivers that are committed to the tree have been tested.
  No "kernel of the hour" syndrome (unless you track CURRENT, that is :)
  and even there it's a LOT better than Linux)

o Centralized bug tracking and support network.  send-pr is included in
  every distribution, and the bug database is centralized.  So is support
  (the FREEBSD.ORG mailing lists).

o Support for much esoteric hardware.  TV tuners and video frame grabbers,
  data acqusition boards, ISDN, ATM, Gigabit Ethernet, CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-RAM
  drives (even ATAPI CD-R/CD-RW's), etc.

o Great as a research or reference platform.  All source code included,
  FreeBSD grew up in a university setting, etc.

o Easily embeddable with no strings attached.  Unlike Linux and its GPL.

Donald Burr <dburr@Powered-By.AC>   WEB: http://www.Powered-By.AC/
PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212  Tel:(805)957-9666 FAX:(800)492-5954
Member and software developer with The FreBSD Project - http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/
*** FreeBSD *** A FREE, 32 Bit UNIX OS for PC's -- The Power to Serve!