Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 14:59:01 -0500
From:      /G=David/S=Sandel/DD.ALISA=SANDELD@mhs-emerson.attmail.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org (o=attmail/dd.id=)

Hi ---

I am runnig FreeBSD 2.1 on a PC.

When I first installed it I could not get the network running because
it had a3COM 3C590 card in it which FreeBSD does not have a driver for.

SOOO .... I put in a older 3C509 card. Then I had an IRQ conflict with
another device using irq 10. So I reset the card to irq 12.
This worked ... except now .... when I ran /stand/sysinstall to do the
network setup ... when I select the INTERFACE screen it doesnt come up.
THe screen will momentarliy flicker and then go back to its previous
menu !!!!!!

HMMMM ... so I just went back into the system and tried pinging a
device ... the system said ... no route available ...

SOOOOO ....

I ran ifconfig .... put in an address, netmaak and broadcast address.

Then tried a ping .... and IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT ....

If I telnet to another device it IS SO SLOW .. I could wait
for three or four minutes for FreeBSD To logon to the other device !!!

What is wrong here ????????

Can I just finish the configuration manually , what commands do I use
to propoerly set the address and gateway ????

ALSO ---

I want to use FreeBSD as a bootp server .... what directory and files
do I need to know about.

Also .... I want to use FreeBSD as a tftp server .... what directory
and what type of account do I need to have setup.

Thanks .....

Dave Sandel
314-552-2772

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?Tue_Apr_23_14:59:01_1996;/DD.ALISA=SANDELD/G=David/S=Sandel/P=EMOTORCO/A=ATTMAIL/C=US>>