Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 22:40:35 +0000
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM>
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why so many ways to stay in sync?

> Frationing the repository is a CTM admin issue, methinks.
> Consider the case of FreeBSD.  What if the various top-level
> directories were maintained in separate ctm domains, so that
> there was a
>  cvs-cur-root
>  cvs-cur-ports
>  cvs-cur-src-bin
>  cvs-cur-src-etc
>  cvs-cur-src-games
>  cvs-cur-src-usr.sbin
> eh??  All ctm cvs-cur users would keep cvs-cur-root, but not all would need
> every subset.
Bad idea, you wouldn't save much volume, but trouble would increase.

> Local mods are a client implementation issue.  Suppose there were an
> lcvs program, which would only handle the 'new update commit delete
> diff log' commands.  It could refer to the local repository maintained
> via ctm, but add a file for each local branch file, to contain local
> patches and history.
>
> COPYRIGHT,v
> COPYRIGHT,v.local

Ctm already supports the ".ctm" suffix.  CTM-deltas will be applied
to any <file>.ctm rather than <file> if it exists.

> Would this fulfill your ideal requirements?  This seems like about
> the least amount of work, of all the approaches that I have
> considered, to resolve the problems you describe.

Sure, when can we have it ? :-)

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.